Last week, Jeff Clough tagged me in the look meme. Okay, there was a small problem. I have just begun a new WIP, and wanted to use it. The rules are:
1. Grab your current work in progress. Check
2. Find the first occurrence of the word “look.” Umm, “looked” is in a scene I had just outlined, not written.
3. Copy that paragraph and a few surrounding paragraphs. Well, here’s the outline paragraph. ”A few surrounding paragraphs,” um, well, they don’t exist yet.
4. Post them to your blog. Here you go:
Christine remembered how Estienne had looked at the church door. He had not smiled, and his hands trembled, but his eyes met hers with kindness. The breeze had ruffled his dark, curly hair, and lifted tendrils of Christine’s hair to reach toward him in concert with her thoughts. Her mind wandered as the priest said several prayers, although a phrase pierced the fog now and then. She blushed at the mention of children and grandchildren. Finally, Estienne put his family ring on each of her fingers in turn, rubbing the inkstained one with a smile, before replacing it firmly on the one carrying the vein to her heart. His hand was warm, and so solid she could remember its touch ten years later.
Her hand cramped, crushing the parchment, driving its edges into her palm. How could he be dead?
5. Tag five other people. Um, about that. I’m really not good at tagging people. I think these memes are fun, but some people think they are worse than root canals. So have a whirl, if it sounds like fun. Please leave a link in the comments if you do. I’d love to see your excerpts.