Kait’s check-in asked whether we have to adjust our goals. I have been thinking for some time that I need to do so. My original goals are in roman font, my emendations in italic. As it turns out, I have been best at my personal goals. I have felt somewhat uncertain about writing and being a grown-up the past few weeks. Taking Kristen Lamb’s Blogging class has given me a wealth of information, but has slightly eroded my confidence. I know it will pass, and I will shake it off, but it does show in my progress toward my goals.
- I will create an outline of the entire novel, spending at least 7 hours a week in whatever configuration works for that week. This work is just not happening this Round. Deferred.
- I’m starting a blogging course on October 8th, and will keep up with the assignments. I am slightly behind, but keeping up within a few days of target dates. I’m learning a lot, and the learning curve is much steeper than I expected.
- I will be doing research the week of October 1-5, which I will turn into a first draft of an article, spending at least 4 hours a week from October 8th on, in whatever configuration. This first draft needs to be done by Christmas; I enjoy working on it, so even though I am falling behind, it stays as a goal.
- As a sponsor, I will visit my assigned blogs twice a week. I often fall a day or two behind, but am managing to keep up within that time.
- I will reply to all comments on my blogs. I am about a week behind on this goal, but it is very important to me, and I will leave it as is.
- I will spend no more than 5 hours a week on social media. I will assess which platforms work for me, and which ones do not. I have been largely absent from social media, except for the time that the blogging class assignments require. I am getting a better idea of what is working and what is not.
- I got stress fractures in two metatarsals by walking, so I will walk for only twenty minutes an evening. Nope. Changed to three times a week, which is not giving up entirely, but is still a stretch.
- I will continue to use the stairs. At least one goal that is working out still!
- Starting October 8th, I will investigate low impact exercise, choosing one by week’s end. I have done the investigation, looking at Tai Chi and Yoga. A sharp decline in my shoulder has deferred actually pursuing this exercise until at least the next Round.
- I will set aside a half-hour every evening to read. I read before I fall asleep, which is proving very helpful for understanding structure, dialogue, and genre.
- I will spend at least one hour a week contacting a friend by whatever means work best. Although I haven’t managed an hour every week, I want to keep this goal, as I have come close most weeks.
- I will have a “date night” with my husband at least twice a month. This one is actually working as well.
- I will spend at least one hour a week with at least one of my kids. Again, although I haven’t managed an hour every week, I want to keep this goal, as I have come close most weeks.