Last Sunday, I wrote in the check-in the modified goals:
- I commit myself to being a better sponsor for the rest of the Round;
- I commit to spending half an hour a day writing something;
- I commit to re-acquainting myself with Cinderella, (which for the moment, is what I am calling my writing)
So, how am I doing?
- I have gone back to comment on the folks whose blogs I missed earlier. Check!
- I have spent half an hour a day on writing. True, for several days, it was the research article, but I write non-fiction as well as fiction. Check!
- Cinderella and I have chatted; I’ve persuaded her to put down the poker. I’ve explained why I have neglected her lately, as she seems to understand. My muse is going nuts, throwing all sorts of ideas at me, some in dreams, some out of the blue, and some hard-won, but I’m glad to take them all, write them all down, and let them simmer. Check!
I will not claim that I am back on the wagon for good. I’m still in the throes of mid-life crisis, with the ship yawing wildly in the oncoming waves. It’s hard to see progress when the deck is rising and dropping in an uneven rhythm, knocking you on your butt every other minute.
I will say that mid-life crisis does tend to offer myriad opportunities for blog posts and savage short stories, as long as I can laugh at myself, so all those opportunities are going into the stockpile as well. Dante wrote his Commedia at the midpoint of his life; what better precedent could I follow?
Please go encourage someone here.